Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Day Blue Hills Quincy MA Hike

APRS AB1II-7





The temp was in the 20s F.  Great day for a hike!  We started the usual spot and trails from Shea Rink.  Except this time we stayed on Sawcut Notch Path until the gas line at 4066.  Then left onto the gas line, until 4049 we took a left onto Pine Tree Brook Path.  Then we took a narrow path to 4090 to the Indian Camp Path (Green Dot)  At 4102 I took Fox Hill path over fox hill, and down to the green dot trail.  Ame stayed on the Green Dot trail, but we stayed in touch via D-Star on simplex.  Hike was about 2 hours long.  There were a few snowflakes today.  

My APRS setup is a Yeasu VX-8DR with GPS mic.  I was using a Diamond tri-band antenna.  Today I tried a 1/4 wavelength telescoping whip.  This worked much better.  I was able to see 95% of our hike today on aprs.fi.  APRS Position of AB1II

No comments: