Saturday, December 31, 2011

Quincy Ride last day of 2011 Ride

Took the mountain bike out for a local spin today.  Temps were in the mid 30s F.  The were showers too.  I think this was a good test of my winter riding gear.  I need new biking shoes, more on that later.

This time I started out riding west on Fenno Street.  Then a left into the MMRA road and trails.  Via the these trails I rode to Furnace Brook Road / Quincy Shore Drive.  I then road north along Quincy Shore Drive, to the Nature path that's behind the Donut store.  From there to Commander Shea Blvd.  Then left onto the path behind Boston Scientific.  Then into the Squantum Point Park, then through Marina Bay, then to Squaw Rock.  And back home via Quincy Shore Drive.

Along the trail in Squantum Point Park, my foot slipped out of the bike shoe.  I was looking around for my shoe.  Then I saw it still clipped to my bike.  A few months back, one of the shoe's straps had broken.  Now I see that's no good, the shoe is too lose.

Further along this trail, I hit a flooded section.  This was frozen over, but the ice was not strong enough to hold me and the bike.  This I expected.  The water was only a foot deep.  But the ice was thick enough to prevent me from riding it out.  I had to stop.  So I trumped though the ice and freezing water. It was cold!  After making it though that frozen mess, I took my shoes off and dried my feet as much as possible.  It was going to be a cold ride for my toes, and I was just over the half way point for my ride.  

I made it home with my toes.  They did hurt for a little while after they warmed up.

Good ride today, feel great now.  Took about an hour and 20 minutes for this Quincy ride.



Happy New Year!

No comments: