Saturday, March 24, 2012

Mountain Biking today in the Blue Hills

Due to the extra dry thaw this year the DCR South ended the bike ban early! So today I did some of the Blue Hills.  I wanted to check out stuff that I have not done before.  The wx was great, under 60F, and cloudy.  Perfect for riding.  Started at after 8AM and finished after 10:30 AM.

Started on Wolcolt Path, then right onto 1122, then right onto 1121 (Eustis Trail)  Then at 1183 I was looking at the map to decide what's next.  A nice jogger asked me If i was lost. After chatting with him about good trails to check out, I realized he had found my ham radio!  How lucky for me!  I though he was a ham, and he happen to have the same radio as me.

Based on the joggers advice i took Chestnut Run Path to Border Path, then left onto Rotch Path at 1114.  This got me back to Wolcott Path, from there I did the loop at top of Houghtons Hill.  This was very nice break at the top of that hill.  I put my call out on the Bridgewater 2m machine (147.18) a few time.  No one was around, but the machine was sounding solid from up there.

Now it's 9:00 AM.  I take trail back down to Wolcolth path, cross over and at 1160 I take the Hancock Hill Path.  Now this was where I had to walk the bike though some tough sections.  I hope to improve my riding skills more in this section in the future.  It's a great trail for views, it's up high.  From this trail I was back on Chestnut Run Path.  I then road again Border Path and Roach Path.  I then road Wolcolt Path back to the main road.

I was still feeling good, so I crossed over Hillside St.  and I road the 6 mile Intermediate Loop.  I took it easy on that side, but still happy with my timing, and I did not have too many breaks.

I can't wait to my next Blue Hills ride!  Next time I'll bring more water.  70 OZ was not enough, and it was not even sunny or hot.

No comments: